Ethics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ethics

Philo 171

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

'Till my Death

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mercado

'Till my Death Empty
PostSubject: 'Till my Death   'Till my Death Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:10 am

1. Health care representative -The person I want to make decisions for me:

During lapse of rationality or lack of consciousness resulting to my incapability in making choices for myself, I, hereby, entrust to Sr. Elizabeth Carranza of The Sisters of Our Lady of Sion a directive to be my health care representative in cases only of end-of-life decisions. The decision shall have legitimacy and power to authorize or refuse to authorize any viable medication or procedure.

My immediate family will be excluded from the decision making, being too emotionally involved in the situation to make a rational decision; but they still and will remain to be an integral part of the deliberations by giving their opinions.

2. Living will - The kind of treatment I want and do not want:

In any cases, I will prefer quality of life over sanctity of life. This is the road I chose and will choose regardless of the circumstances. This is a possibility I am willing to risk and my representative will attest to that. I have low tolerance for pain and other excruciating medical procedures. Accordingly, I want to fully exhaust all the other minor medical options accessible at the time and within my family’s means before my representative may rely on tubes and other painful procedures with one condition: only when there is 99% probability of survival without having to damage any part of my body. In “damage”, what I mean is losing any part of my body as a result of the operation; thus, resulting in impotency. I am an outdoor person and always want an energetic life. I want a whole, functioning and healthy body to fulfil my dreams, if ever I had a second chance. Otherwise, I want my organs to be donated, if it is still functioning for I fear that I may have misused them during my life. Recipients should be deemed deserving in accordance of the hospital rules. In all cases whether it is coma or PVS, I will fight for my life. I want to fulfil my dream before dying. My sister can give an account of that before anyone can pull my life-support system.

3. How comfortable do I want to be:

I do not want to be confined within my room or in the hospital for that matter. I prefer fresh air and warm sunshine in my home in the province. I want to be able to travel to places if the doctor will permit such activity. If possible I want to watch the sky, night and day. Stargazing has always been my favourite past time.

Otherwise, I want my room to stay clean without any hospital smell. I also want my bed to be feathery soft and have lots of pillow. I want foods, a lot of sweets made by my mom (if she’s still alive). I would love to hear the classical music to soothe me.

4. How I want people to treat me:

I want to be as comfortable as possible. The presence of all the people who have been part of my life will be very much appreciated. I want to live the last days of my life back in my home with my loved ones around me. I want my last days to be filled with happiness and laughter and not pain and sorrow. I want kindness and warm affection surrounding me with a sense of serenity. If possible I don’t want my family to worry about my condition and cry in front of me. I want to retain in my memory their happy and joyful faces. I will forever cherish our sweet memories together. These will be engraved in my heart and soul…never to be forgotten.

5. What I want my family to know and last wishes:

To my family and close friends, I want them to know how grateful I am to be part of their life. I will always love them unconditionally, without any reservations. I lived life without regrets. The journey has been fulfilling because of them.

At the time of my death, I want a private funeral with scented candles and white roses. No casket-viewing. The last rites shall be performed by Fr. M during sunset. I want to be buried next to my parent’s grave in the hillside overlooking the sea. I hope no one cries.
Back to top Go down

'Till my Death
Page 1 of 1