Ethics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ethics

Philo 171

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

DABALOS Questions for the Third Exam

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jimenez

DABALOS Questions for the Third Exam Empty
PostSubject: DABALOS Questions for the Third Exam   DABALOS Questions for the Third Exam Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 11:43 pm

Dabalos
Dabalos:
1. What could be the underlying reason/s or principles in the practice of (encouraging) the creation of advance directives and living will?

2. After careful considerations of the various ethical theories/views we discussed, what “personal moral system or code” can you come up with and which you can adopt? Be sure to talk about the values, precepts/ideas, and other elements that should comprise this “personal moral system or code”. Include your conception of freedom and accountability in this given moral system and your view of what it means to be a moral individual.
Back to top Go down
marrion_dabalos

PostSubject: Re: DABALOS Questions for the Third Exam   DABALOS Questions for the Third Exam Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 7:59 pm

jimenez wrote:
Dabalos
Dabalos:
1. What could be the underlying reason/s or principles in the practice of (encouraging) the creation of advance directives and living will?

i think the primary reason for the creation of the advance directive or will is to help the significant other of a person regarding the things that this said person wants to do before he or she will die. As it is legally binding, as of the will and testament, the wishes of a person that is about to die could be established under the scrutiny of the law. Law and ethics come hand in hand, with an advanced directive; the people left behind would have a standard to follow on their actions regarding the treatment of the dying or the dead. The creation of the advance directive would also clear issues regarding some consideration on the treatment of the body, particularly ethical issues on its treatment. As the body for some is considered sacred, in a sense of the word, then it must be respected according to the wishes of the owner. Moreover, having an advance directive would further enhance the power of a person to extend his autonomy and freedom even after death. This would just imply that this person’s power over himself is still recognized. Lastly, it is important to note that this life is just a fleeting moment. Anyone could die in an instant. To prevent conflict in the interest of the both party, and to leave an everlasting mark on the significant party that would be potentially left behind, an advance directive would be greatly encouraged.

2. After careful considerations of the various ethical theories/views we discussed, what “personal moral system or code” can you come up with and which you can adopt? Be sure to talk about the values, precepts/ideas, and other elements that should comprise this “personal moral system or code”. Include your conception of freedom and accountability in this given moral system and your view of what it means to be a moral individual.
Back to top Go down
marrion_dabalos

PostSubject: Re: DABALOS Questions for the Third Exam   DABALOS Questions for the Third Exam Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 8:44 pm

My personal moral code is to cling to the eternally long system of values that humans have developed. Because morality has a standard in which people must follow, this standard of morality that I would like to adopt is to follow the standard of “goodness” in which humans have developed since time immemorial. This “goodness” includes specific human values that make us distinct from other animal species on this world, it is a distinct feature that differ human beings form the animals, this goodness is also the one that is responsible for our continual existence, adaptation and survival in this world, it is a product of a long process of development that started since the human brain evolved into what it is now. Goodness are values, values that we have as human being, a power that is only unique to us. It include values such as kindness, honesty, trust, understanding, love, respect, freedom, riotousness, submission, charity, unity and many innately human traits that makes us unique from others. Once we have established the kind of goodness we have or simply followed our uniquely inherent potential, decision regarding moral issues would be quite easier. Decisions regarding morality, simply based by these values like clinging to the value of honesty or love, then a moral issue would be quite easier to justify. This standard could also be called” humanity:”, being human as a self perfecting, self progressing being that would never depreciate through time.
In the question whether this humanity standard would alienate our freedom or autonomy, I think this would not, in the contrary, these human values promotes the availability of having the choice not to follow or to follow. As a human being, this standard or values would have the power to be chosen, it is innate in us but it doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone could follow it, anyone could choose not to follow human values, such as love and understanding. Moreover autonomy and freedom is also the part of this standard. Once freedom and autonomy is in the equation on the standard of morality to follow, then I think any decision could be justified. Freedom and autonomy is part of our nature, man is condemned to be free. Following the goodness of humanity is always a choice, Human have the potential to be good; it is inherent in us, however we also have the potential to be bad, as a product of natural evolution, we too have the tendency to be reduced to our original form, the animal or the “object” as I like to call it.
To sum, my philosophical project simply states that when faced by a tough decision, my decision would simply adhere to the inherent human values that we have, my decision would have an aspect of goodness and values imbedded on it. Like decisions based on love, honesty, freedom and many others that makes us human.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DABALOS Questions for the Third Exam   DABALOS Questions for the Third Exam Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DABALOS Questions for the Third Exam
Page 1 of 1